Plea to shoppers to support Norwich Castle Mall Post Office as new modern hub planned at Magdalen Street
- Credit: Archant
The boss of the Castle Mall has urged shoppers to support the centre's Post Office amid proposals for it to relocate to a nearby WHSmith's store.
A public consultation is currently taking place and Amanda Phillips said she hoped the public would back the branch and help ensure it remains in the Mall after 20 years of 'great service'.
She said: 'We understand that this is part of a national move by the Post Office to relocate up to 61 of its stores into WHSmith branches.
'But we hope that our shoppers will take part in the consultation before June 1 and ask for the Post Office to stay in Castle Mall. We hope that is what the Post Office then decides to do.'
Under plans to relocate the Castle Mall branch, staff at the existing branch would move to the new site on St Stephen's Street and would continue to be employed by the Post Office, offering the same services as before.
You may also want to watch:
Roger Gale, general manager of the Post Office Crown Network, said: 'Our collaboration with WHSmith helps secure the long-term viability of services for local customers.
'We are making sure we take the right course of action to sustain services for years to come.'
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
If it goes ahead, the branch would move in August 2016.
The proposed move comes as the Post Office branch on Magdalen Street looks set to benefit from a major overhaul of services as managers today announced longer opening hours for the branch.
The branch needs will close for major refurbishment on May 31, before the modernised Magdalen Street hub reopens on June 16.
It will then be open from Monday to Saturday between 8am and 6pm.
Keith Long, Post Office area manager said: 'We are confident this modern, vibrant Post Office, at the heart of the community, will be popular.'
Any customers who would like to give their views about the Castle Mall branch proposals have until June 1 and can do so at: postofficeviews.co.uk
Alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03457 22 33 44 or address a letter to FREEPOST Your Comments.
•The original version of this article referred to Magdalen Way as well as Magdalen Street. It should only have referred to Magdalen Street.