Plans to demolish former Norwich ironmongers’ shop and build takeaway in it place
A former ironmongers' shop in the Golden Triangle could be turned into a hot food takeaway with bedsits above it.
The Burrell's site in Unthank Road, Norwich, has been empty since 2008 and planning permission for its demolition was approved in 2014.
However fresh plans have been lodged by applicant Yahui Liu of Poringland to demolish the former shop building, retain the workshop building and build a new two-storey building to include a hot food takeaway and a four-bedroom dwelling above it.
A single objection to the application had been posted on Norwich City Council's planning pages at the time of going to print.
Residents Mr and Mrs Coates, of Unthank Road, noted: 'There are already enough food outlets, cafes and takeaways on Unthank Road.
You may also want to watch:
'More would be inappropriate and superfluous.
'Together with a first floor dwelling they would also add to increasing traffic and parking problems in the immediate area.'
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Transport officers at the city council said parking spaces should not be added to the front of the building as it was too near to a pedestrian crossing.
They called for bollards to be installed around the edge of the private boundary to prevent parking, and noted only the busines premises would be eligible for parking permits.
Applicants said the frontage would be of a traditional appearance with large windows.
They added the building was not listed.
Denise Carlo, city councillor for Nelson ward, said it was sad to see the building standing empty and she hoped the traditional frontage could be retained.
The application will be decided by the city council's planning committee at a meeting on Thursday, July 14.