Plans for six more Swaffham wind turbines
CHRIS BISHOP Six more wind turbines could be built alongside the A47 on the outskirts of Swaffham, green power firm Ecotricity revealed last night.
Six more wind turbines could be built alongside the A47 on the outskirts of Swaffham, green power firm Ecotricity revealed last night.
It said they would generate enough electricity to power up to 10,000 homes.
Dale Vince, founder of Ecotricity, said: "Building new sources of renewable energy is the best way to fight climate change with more than 30pc of UK emissions coming from conventional generation. Wind turbines are essential in this.
"We have to change where our electricity comes from and we have to do it sooner rather than later. This project will provide green energy straight into the local grid enabling local homes and businesses to take part in combating climate change."
Ecotricity built its first turbine at the Ecotech Centre, on the outskirts of Swaffham, in 1999. Soon after, it built a second turbine - at the time the UK's tallest onshore wind turbine.
- 1 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 4 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 5 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 6 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 7 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 8 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 9 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 10 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
Research carried out by Breckland Borough Council found that 90pc of local people supported wind power projects in the area.
A public exhibition will take place at the Ecotech Centre from Tuesday, March 6, to Tuesday, March 20. It will include a timelapse movie of wind turbine construction, photomontages of the proposed new wind turbines, information on wind power technology and the damaging effects of climate change.