Pilot who died in plane crash on Queen’s Sandringham Estate named as Nigel Dodds
- Credit: PA
The pilot who died when the light aircraft he was flying crashed on the Queen's Sandringham Estate has been named as Nigel Dodds.
Mr Dodds, who is understood to be from the Gateshead area, was flying a four-seater Piper PA28 over the Norfolk coast before crashing on marshland at Wolferton, near King's Lynn.
MORE: Investigators to examine aircraft following crash in Wolferton killing two peopleEmergency services were called just before 11am on Monday, September 11 and the pair were pronounced dead at the scene.
A female passenger aged in her 70s also died in the accident.
There has been widespread shock amongst the community following the incident.
MORE: Tributes continue to pour in for two people killed in light aircraft crash on Queen's Sandringham EstateNorth West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham said: 'My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the victims. Obviously it is a very tragic and unexpected event - all the more so because you don't expect modern light aircraft to crash. It is quite rare.
'There does need to be a full air accident investigation. There may be some lessons that need to be learned.
MORE: Flying clubs react to light aircraft crash on Queen's Sandringham Estate, which killed two people'I'd also like to pay my very full and comprehensive thanks to all the emergency crews involved.
You may also want to watch:
'This is one they weren't expecting but they got there very quickly and have been working tirelessly to clear the wreckage and to try and find out some clues as to what happened.'
The Air Accident Investigating Branch (AAIB) is looking into the cause of the incident and has removed the plane from the scene of the crash.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 5 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR