Photo gallery: town effort makes Swaffham sparkle
- Credit: Ian Burt
A 'real town effort' has helped bring the magic of Christmas to Swaffham.
The market town's annual lights switch-on saw hundreds of families brave the cold weather to join in festive carols and fairground games, enjoy dance performances and spread Christmas cheer.
Paul Hollywood look-alike Alan Sagrott got the festivities under way while KLFM presenter Simon Rowe pressed the button to make the town sparkle, and Santa arrived on his sleigh to be visited by more than 150 children in his grotto at the Assembly Rooms.
There was also a Christmas market and many of the town centre businesses stayed open to give shoppers the chance to buy gifts for loved ones.
Town clerk Richard Bishop said: 'We were very pleased with the turnout. A lot of planning goes into the switch-on event, people donate their services free of charge and donate raffle prizes. It's a really good town effort and it's a nice thing to be involved in.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'It welcomes people to Swaffham, showcases what we have got here and shows that we are open for business.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR