Photo gallery: Shimpling cottage owner’s shock at devastating fire
- Credit: Archant
The owner of a cottage which was badly damaged by fire yesterday morning has spoken of her shock.
Up to 30 firefighters tackled the blaze in Pug Street in Shimpling, near Diss, which broke out at about 9am.
The tenant, called Sheila, her daughter and their pet rabbit managed to escape unharmed while firefighters rescued their dogs, Molly and Henry.
Both dogs were taken to the vets as a precaution.
It is not yet known how the fire started and investigations will continue today.
You may also want to watch:
The owner of the property, Margaret Knights, had bought the mid-terraced cottage with her husband, Max, 30 years ago.
The couple, who now live in Pulham St Mary, had renovated the house and lived there for 28 years before renting it out.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 7 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 10 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
Mrs Knights, 65, said: 'I'm shocked. It was just a lovely cottage, a beautiful, beautiful cottage.
'I loved that cottage, I put my heart and soul into that property.
'It's the last thing you expect but at least no one was hurt.
'I feel for Sheila, it's her life down here now and I feel for my husband as he's now got the worry of sorting everything out.'
Fire crews from Diss, Harleston, Long Stratton and Carrow were sent to the scene.
Police officers also attended to close off the road.
Firefighters managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the adjoining houses.
Station manager Ray Harcourt said: 'Crews were initially hampered by a lack of water and the severity of the fire.
'The initial crews requested additional appliances and we had five appliances here.
'The crews did a fantastic job of stopping the fire spreading to the neighbouring properties and kept it under control.'
Fire crews stayed on site until dark yesterday and were due to return this morning.