Photo Gallery: London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony
The eyes of the world were on the Olympic Stadium in London last night for the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games.
An estimated worldwide television audience of one billion people watched Danny Boyle's creation that included a cast of hundreds.
The stadium was transformed from countryside, through the industrial revolution and on to dancing, with live music performances from Dizzee Rascal and the Arctic Monkeys.
The Queen, Bradley Wiggins and Daniel Craig as James Bond were among those involved, before Chris Hoy carried the Union flag for Team GB.
David Beckham played a special part as he brought the Olympic torch down the River Thames by speedboat, before handing it to Sir Steve Redgrave.
He brought the torch into the arena, before the games cauldron was lit by seven up-and-coming young athletes nominated by British Olympic legends including Daley Thompson, Duncan Goodhew and Dame Kelly Holmes.
Archant Norfolk photographer Nick Butcher was at the opening ceremony and to see photo galleries click the links at the top right hand side of the screen.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 6 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 7 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 8 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 9 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 10 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant