Photo gallery: Competition sizzles in search for the best banger at the Norfolk Food and Drink Festival
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
There were no fireworks but an explosion of home-grown flavours as the much loved Battle of the Bangers contest took place in Norwich over the weekend on a sizzling late-summer's day.
Thousands of people descended on the Forum on Saturday for the sausage taste test - part of the EDP Adnams Norfolk Food and Drink Festival - which sees the public help crown the best butcher after having had the chance to try the carefully crafted pork products.
And the public were in for a treat with nine different sausages to sample on a glorious summer's day which kept the punters coming and the butchers and their staff busy cooking and promoting their products all day.
Sarah de Chair, EDP Adnams Norfolk Food and Drink Festival chairman, helps organise the competition which is always one of the highlights of the festival. She said: 'It's been going nine years now and to me, I'm biased because I'm organising it, but I thinking it's one of the most exciting and different events of the festival.
'We've got several new butchers this year which we're delighted about. This is what we're all about - we want people to go out and support butchers and buy their sausages from them.'
You may also want to watch:
All nine companies making sausages on the day were from Norfolk, with the public voting for Archer's, based in Plumstead Road in Norwich, as this year's victor, with Brambles Farm named as runners-up.
Archer's were also the winner of the sponsors' choice competition, with F.L Edge & Son in second place.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
The others taking part were: Blofield Farm Shop, Thorpe Butchers, Tony Perkins Butchers, Norfolk Sausage Company, The Paddocks Butchery and Deli and Walsingham Farm Shop.