Photo gallery: Competition sizzles in search for the best banger at the Norfolk Food and Drink Festival
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
There were no fireworks but an explosion of home-grown flavours as the much loved Battle of the Bangers contest took place in Norwich over the weekend on a sizzling late-summer's day.
Thousands of people descended on the Forum on Saturday for the sausage taste test - part of the EDP Adnams Norfolk Food and Drink Festival - which sees the public help crown the best butcher after having had the chance to try the carefully crafted pork products.
And the public were in for a treat with nine different sausages to sample on a glorious summer's day which kept the punters coming and the butchers and their staff busy cooking and promoting their products all day.
Sarah de Chair, EDP Adnams Norfolk Food and Drink Festival chairman, helps organise the competition which is always one of the highlights of the festival. She said: 'It's been going nine years now and to me, I'm biased because I'm organising it, but I thinking it's one of the most exciting and different events of the festival.
'We've got several new butchers this year which we're delighted about. This is what we're all about - we want people to go out and support butchers and buy their sausages from them.'
You may also want to watch:
All nine companies making sausages on the day were from Norfolk, with the public voting for Archer's, based in Plumstead Road in Norwich, as this year's victor, with Brambles Farm named as runners-up.
Archer's were also the winner of the sponsors' choice competition, with F.L Edge & Son in second place.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Hethersett high school sends pupils home after four coronavirus cases
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
The others taking part were: Blofield Farm Shop, Thorpe Butchers, Tony Perkins Butchers, Norfolk Sausage Company, The Paddocks Butchery and Deli and Walsingham Farm Shop.