Photo Gallery: Comical pantomime antics at Lowestoft’s Christmas lights switch-on
THERE was a sprinkling of fairy-dust and a 'ho, ho, ho' from Father Christmas, as hundreds of people turned out to join in the comical festivities at this year's annual Lowestoft Christmas light's switch-on today.
The lights were switched on by the star of this year's Marina Theatre pantomime Sue Hodge, who kept the crowds entertained with her hilarious antics on stage.
Known to many from her role in the TV comedy 'Allo 'Allo, Sue was joined by special guests Father Christmas, the Mayor of Lowestoft Tod Sullivan and a team from Beach Radio.
Sue - who will play Fairy Organic in the panto Jack and the Beanstalk - said: 'It is such a great honour to be asked to switch on the town's Christmas Lights.'
As well as the lights spectacular, crowds were treated to a special festive market in the town centre, family entertainment during the day, free children's fun outside Beales department store, children's rides and a special pantomime-themed fancy dress competition for children aged under 12.
You may also want to watch:
Lowestoft girl group Minx also put on a popular live performance which had the crowds dancing along to their vocals.
The town also received a further boost with free parking offered from 4pm today by Waveney Norse and Waveney District Council.
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 8 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 9 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 10 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire
There will be more free parking on offer on Saturdays throughout December – running all day from 10am on Saturday, December 3, December 10 and December 17.
• See Friday's Lowestoft Journal for a pull-out guide of the event.