Photo Gallery: 11 photos that show why Houghton Revisited exhibition and Holkham Hall have won prestigious national awards
- Credit: Archant
Two Norfolk stately homes have won prestigious national awards.
Houghton Hall, near Fakenham, scooped the award for Best Event, for the spectacular Houghton Revisited art exhibition and Holkham Hall, near Wells, won Best Family Day Out Award in the Hudson's Heritage Awards.
This annual national awards scheme was established in 2011.
It celebrates the very best heritage experiences and is open to historic houses, gardens, museums and heritage sites.
Houghton Revisited saw the priceless art collection of Britain's first Prime Minister Sir Robert Walople return to Houghton Hall from their home in Russia and attracted tens of thousands of visitors from across the world.
You may also want to watch:
The Marquess of Cholmondeley, owner of Houghton Hall, said 'This award is a great accolade to everyone on the team who helped to plan and organise the exhibition.
'We like to think that Houghton is always a very special place for people to visit and the exhibition last year provided an added incentive for visitors.'
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 5 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 6 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 7 Fresh calls for action over 'unacceptable' queues at A11 roundabout
- 8 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 9 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 10 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
David Horton Fawkes, estates director at Holkham said: 'Receiving this award is a wonderful acknowledgment and recognition that Holkham is one of the best heritage attractions in the UK.'
The awards ceremony was held at Goldsmiths Hall in London and awards were presented by Lloyd Grossman OBE.