People rushed to hospital with serious and life threatening injuries after minibus crashes into ditch in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Eight people have been taken to hospital after a minibus crashed into a ditch, in Leverington, in Wisbech.
The minibus was carrying seven passengers when it crashed into a ditch, in Sutton Road, on the A1101, at around 6am, this morning.
Fire crews rushed to the scene after receiving reports that people were trapped.
Firefighters from Wisbech and King's Lynn worked to cut free the five people trapped inside the vehicle.
The three crews then provided care until a fleet of ambulances arrived.
You may also want to watch:
All of the people onboard - including the driver - have been taken to hospital.
One man was treated for serious chest injuries and has been taken to Addenbrookes Hospital, he remains in a serious condition.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
Two others suffered serious injuries, which are not believed to be life threatening, and were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and another five were taken to Peterborough City Hospital for minor injuries.
A fleet of four ambulance crews, a rapid response vehicle, ambulance officer and Magpas rapid response car treated people involved in the crash.
Police are asking motorists to avoid the area.
Fenland Police added that the road will remain closed for 'some time due to a serious injury'.
Ady Slack, Incident Commander at Cambridgeshire Fire Service, said: 'Crews were faced with a difficult situation with five casualties trapped in the vehicle. They worked closely with colleagues from the ambulance service to release the casualties safely.'
Sutton road is blocked in both directions between the Parson Drove Lane junction and the Dowgate Road junction.
Fenland Police tweeted: 'Sutton Road #Wisbech is going to be closed for some time due to a serious injury'.