People rushed to hospital with serious and life threatening injuries after minibus crashes into ditch in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Eight people have been taken to hospital after a minibus crashed into a ditch, in Leverington, in Wisbech.
The minibus was carrying seven passengers when it crashed into a ditch, in Sutton Road, on the A1101, at around 6am, this morning.
Fire crews rushed to the scene after receiving reports that people were trapped.
Firefighters from Wisbech and King's Lynn worked to cut free the five people trapped inside the vehicle.
The three crews then provided care until a fleet of ambulances arrived.
All of the people onboard - including the driver - have been taken to hospital.
One man was treated for serious chest injuries and has been taken to Addenbrookes Hospital, he remains in a serious condition.
- 1 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 2 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 5 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
- 6 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 7 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 8 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 9 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
Two others suffered serious injuries, which are not believed to be life threatening, and were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and another five were taken to Peterborough City Hospital for minor injuries.
A fleet of four ambulance crews, a rapid response vehicle, ambulance officer and Magpas rapid response car treated people involved in the crash.
Police are asking motorists to avoid the area.
Fenland Police added that the road will remain closed for 'some time due to a serious injury'.
Ady Slack, Incident Commander at Cambridgeshire Fire Service, said: 'Crews were faced with a difficult situation with five casualties trapped in the vehicle. They worked closely with colleagues from the ambulance service to release the casualties safely.'
Sutton road is blocked in both directions between the Parson Drove Lane junction and the Dowgate Road junction.
Fenland Police tweeted: 'Sutton Road #Wisbech is going to be closed for some time due to a serious injury'.