People evacuated from Wymondham One Stop after burglar alarm overheats

Fire services on the scene after smoke alarms were set off. Photo: Simon Finlay

Fire services on the scene after smoke alarms were set off. Photo: Simon Finlay - Credit: SIMON FINLAY

People were evacuated from a Wymondham shop after a burglar alarm overheated and started issuing smoke, setting off the fire alarms.

Fire services on the scene after smoke alarms were set off. Photo: Simon Finlay

Fire services on the scene after smoke alarms were set off. Photo: Simon Finlay - Credit: SIMON FINLAY

Two crews, one from Wymondham and another from Hethersett, were called to the One Stop on Market Street just after 2.15pm today.

They had initially been called 45 minutes earlier to reports of a smell of burning, which they discovered was a faulty appliance.

After leaving, they were quickly called back, with passers-by noticing smoke coming from the building.

A Norfolk Fire and Rescue spokesperson said three people had been evacuated from the building as a precaution.

It was later confirmed that the alarm was behind the smoke.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter