People encouraged to take part in a 10km walk around Downham Market
An Olympic-themed race walk is being held in Downham Market this weekend to encourage people to get active.
The 10km Downham Walk, organised by Ryston Runners, is scheduled to take place at 11am on Sunday and will run alongside a 20km Masters Championship starting at the town's memorial playing field.
The circuit consists of laps around the quiet roads of the Clackclose Estate and is ideal for spectators, according to Peter Duhig, from the Ryston Runners.
Mr Duhig added: 'Walking is a very popular sport these days. Competitive walking is a great way to get fit and shed those pounds. The 10K event is a chance for everyone to have ago.'
Commonwealth Silver medalist Ron Wallwork will be on hand during the event to offer advice on how to race walk. It is hoped other medallists will also be there on the day to pass on their expertise.
Among the serious athletes competing is Cath Duhig, and Arthur Thomson the multi-world record holder - who at 75 years of age is still breaking records.
It is the second year this event has been held. Entries for the 10K 'come and try it' event are available on the day.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 3 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 4 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 5 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
- 6 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 New Burger King site approved in city centre
- 9 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 10 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed