Pensioner’s warning over scam gas company letter
A pensioner has warned others after narrowly avoiding a scam letter - claiming to be from her gas provider.
Joan Pope, 75, of Hopton, received a letter saying she had missed a month's payment, instructing her to phone a number to provide payment.
She initially phoned the number listed on the letter, preparing to make payment, however, was hung up on by the person on the other end.
After phoning her provider's customer complaints line she was told the number was not associated with the company.
She said: 'I had my card ready to pay, so I could easily have been caught out. I want to warn people in case the same thing happens to them.'
She said the letter contained the letterhead of her provider - though the logo was placed on the opposite side.
- 1 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 2 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 3 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 4 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 5 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 6 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 7 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
- 8 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 9 Which of the major shops are staying closed this Boxing Day?
- 10 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75