Park says sorry that Wipeout's a washout
Pleasurewood Hills bosses have apologised to thrill-seekers after more problems with the new Wipeout rollercoaster emerged. The new white-knuckle ride at the theme park near Lowestoft was billed as the tallest and fastest in the East of England when it opened on July 31.
Pleasurewood Hills bosses have apologised to thrill-seekers after more problems with the new Wipeout rollercoaster emerged.
The new white-knuckle ride at the theme park near Lowestoft was billed as the tallest and fastest in the East of England when it opened on July 31.
But visitors have endured a series of disappointments as operators struggled to iron out technical difficulties with the high-speed attraction.
The EDP reported on Thursday that 20 riders were stranded 21 feet in the air for nearly an hour last Sunday after the safety system detected a technical error.
And it has now emerged that there was also problems with the ride on Saturday.
Although park officials stressed that the public were never in danger, the ride's teething troubles have sparked criticism from grounded rollercoaster fans.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 7 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 10 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
Toni Jeary , 39, of Wayford Road, Stalham, had promised her son Zachery a ride on the Wipeout to celebrate his twelfth birthday on Sunday.
“It was my son's birthday treat,” she said.
“He particularly wanted to go on Wipeout - that was the whole point of the visit, and it had been so hyped up.
“We were so disappointed. No one informed us that the ride would remain closed or apologised for this, no sign was displayed to explain what was happening and the ride remained closed with engineers working on it all day.
“They obviously didn't solve the problem as it broke down the following day.”
Mrs Jeary, whose husband Shaun, 42, and daughter Staisha, 5, had also hoped to enjoy the day out, said that there were other problems at the park.
“During the course of the day the chair lift ride was out of action and so was the balloon ride,” she said.
“I did complain and we received complimentary tickets to return, but I was disappointed by the poor customer care and the standard of the rides at the park.”
Denise Thompson, commercial and public relations manager at Pleasurewood Hills, said: “We understand that it must be frustrating for people that have made a trip to Pleasurewood Hills specifically to ride Wipeout and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
“Wipeout, as with any rollercoaster, has a number automated safety mechanisms and tests built in to ensure that the ride runs safely.
“The ride underwent rigorous health and safety checks by the Amusement Devices Inspection Procedures Scheme prior to opening but unfortunately, because of the high tech nature and specialist engineering of a rollercoaster, this sort of thing happens to rides all around the world.
“Wipeout has been thoroughly checked and tested since by our safety experts and is now back open and running smoothly all week.”