Parents’ plea over death of Reydon teenager in Southwold three years ago

A BEREAVED father issued a renewed for help over the death of his teenage son three years ago.

Michael Hannant is still trying to make sense of the circumstances leading to son Daniel's disappearance on February 28, 2009, and the discovery of his body in a ditch three days later.

Police began an investigation to find out how he died, and say there were no suspicious circumstances.

But on the third anniversary of 19-year-old Daniel's death, Mr Hannant and wife Patricia Hannant, of Reydon, have appealed for help to explain what happened to their son on the night he died.

Daniel went missing after a night with friends at the British Legion Club in Blackmill Road, Southwold.

You may also want to watch:

He left at about 11.30pm and was not seen until his body was found on marshes near the Blyth Road allotments. An inquest heard the former Sir John Leman High School pupil had an 'extremely high level' of alcohol in his blood.

His parents, who live in of Windsor Road, Reydon, have since kept a detailed record of every news article and statement relating to a subsequent inquiry and are now hiring a solicitor in the hope of reviving the investigation.

Most Read

Mr Hannant, 53, said: 'We have picked up bits of information and believe that something happened to contribute to Daniel's death. A lot of things just don't add up.

'We don't want to make accusations but think something took place and that someone knows something – we just need some sort of closure and feel like we've been left to find it by ourselves.'

Daniel's death was not treated as suspicious but police compiling a report for the coroner made appeals for anyone with information to come forward.

Mr Hannant said he was not convinced by the resulting report, adding: 'The inquest said he had consumed a lot of drinks at home before leaving but I don't believe this to be true. We have always wondered where the excess alcohol found in the toxicology report came from.

'We never knew Daniel to drink too much. He knew his limits and we could rely on him to be home when he said he would. We are also convinced that Daniel wasn't alone later that night.'

A spokesman for Suffolk police they would welcome new information.

She added: 'Although the inquest has been dealt with, there are still questions as to what happened. If any new information came to light, we would of course investigate.

'Repeated appeals have been made but there were no suspicious circumstances per se but we would ask anyone to come forward if they do have information.'

•If you have any information the may help police, call 101.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus