Warning after palm oil toxic to dogs spotted on north Norfolk beach

Jake, who got sick earlier this year after eating palm oil washed up on the beach. Picture: Tessa Bi

Jake, who got sick earlier this year after eating palm oil washed up on the beach. Picture: Tessa Bickerstaff. - Credit: Tessa Bickerstaff.

UPDATE: The National Trust has now confirmed the deposits were peat and 'nothing to worry about'. Read an update to this story here.

https://twitter.com/NorfolkCoastNT/status/1047054010803544065

Dog owners have been warned about deposits of palm oil which have been washed up on the beach at Brancaster in north Norfolk. The National Trust has reported the substance, which is poisonous to dogs, has been spotted on the beach.

Palm oil deposits were found on several north Norfolk beaches earlier this year, and left some dogs critically ill.

The Norfolk Coast National Trust said on social media: 'We have had reports of potential palm oil deposits washing up on Brancaster Beach. We are currently investigating but dog owners please be aware and do not allow your dog to pick up and eat anything off the beach. We will update later.'

One dog called Jake, a Jack Russell mix, contracted pancreatitis having consumed an amount of palm oil which had washed up during sea storms.

A lump of palm oil found near Southwold. Picture: Steve Walker

A lump of palm oil found near Southwold. Picture: Steve Walker - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


He and his owner had recently visited Sea Palling and Cromer beaches.

At the time, Dr Andrew Turner, from the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science said: 'Simple precautions should be followed to ensure that pets and people do not eat anything they find on the beach.'

Most Read

This may include keeping a closer eye on dogs on the beach, or muzzling those who may try to eat washed up fish.

MORE: 'I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I've been through': Owner's heartbreak after dog consumes palm oil on Norfolk beach.

Vet Walter Stohr with some palm oil that has been washed up beaches. The oil causes harm to animals

Vet Walter Stohr with some palm oil that has been washed up beaches. The oil causes harm to animals. Picture: NICK BUTCHER - Credit: Nick Butcher

MORE: Oil which is toxic to dogs washed up on north Norfolk beaches

A dog and walker on Brancaster beach. Picture: Ian Burt

A dog and walker on Brancaster beach. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter