Warning after palm oil toxic to dogs spotted on north Norfolk beach
- Credit: Tessa Bickerstaff.
UPDATE: The National Trust has now confirmed the deposits were peat and 'nothing to worry about'. Read an update to this story here.
Dog owners have been warned about deposits of palm oil which have been washed up on the beach at Brancaster in north Norfolk. The National Trust has reported the substance, which is poisonous to dogs, has been spotted on the beach.
Palm oil deposits were found on several north Norfolk beaches earlier this year, and left some dogs critically ill.
The Norfolk Coast National Trust said on social media: 'We have had reports of potential palm oil deposits washing up on Brancaster Beach. We are currently investigating but dog owners please be aware and do not allow your dog to pick up and eat anything off the beach. We will update later.'
One dog called Jake, a Jack Russell mix, contracted pancreatitis having consumed an amount of palm oil which had washed up during sea storms.
You may also want to watch:
He and his owner had recently visited Sea Palling and Cromer beaches.
At the time, Dr Andrew Turner, from the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science said: 'Simple precautions should be followed to ensure that pets and people do not eat anything they find on the beach.'
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
This may include keeping a closer eye on dogs on the beach, or muzzling those who may try to eat washed up fish.