Pakefield solar stroll will be light work
- Credit: Archant
Two of Waveney's hardest- working fundraisers are set for a stroll along the coast tonight.
Pakefield's Zoiyar Cole and Janet Ellis have teamed up again to organise the Solar Stroll event, which raised more than £4,500 last year.
Having raised more than £285,000 for cancer charities over the past decade, including the Palliative Care East appeal and the Sandra Chapman Ward at the James Paget University Hospital, the pair of fundraisers are hoping to hit the £300,000 mark soon.
Since the Paul Cole Cancer Fund was set up in memory of Zoiyar's son, who died from liver cancer in 1999 aged just 35, the two friends have organised countless events – and from 7pm tonight, it is hoped locals will join in with their latest venture.
Last year more than 65 people walked from Pakefield to Lowestoft along the seafront carrying solar lights to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
You may also want to watch:
Hopes are high that tonight can exceed that number – and raise even more funds.
Mrs Cole said: 'We are meeting at Pakefield Church Hall at 7pm, for a 7.30pm push off for the walk.
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 3 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 4 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 5 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 6 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 7 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 8 Cactus shop selling £95 plants opens in Norwich phone box
- 9 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 10 'Fantastic to have people back' - Tea room reopens on Broads
'Hopefully we will get up to 100 people taking part, and we can raise more than £5,000.'
Entrants are sponsored to take part in the stroll, which runs from Pakefield church, past CEFAS, and along the cliffs to Claremont Pier and back.
The stroll should take about 45 minutes and then everyone is welcome to go back to Pakefield Church Hall for refreshments.
She added: 'Everyone is given a solar light for the stroll along the seafront, and they look great in your garden afterwards.'
For more details, call 01502 513573 or 01502 562843.