Norwich wrestling star Paige returns to WWE after announcing retirement
- Credit: John Giamundo
Norwich wrestling star Paige is returning to WWE in a new role after announcing her retirement due to injury.
The 25-year-old, part of the Knight family of wrestlers, confirmed she was stepping out of the ring at Monday Night Raw in New Orleans after months of speculation following a neck injury last year.
But less than 24 hours later it was revealed that Paige would be returning to WWE with the announcement she would be Smackdown Live's new general manager.
She replaces Daniel Bryan who was given the all clear to return to the ring last months after three years out due to medical issues.
After announcing her retirement from wrestling she tweeted: 'Completely overwhelmed with the love and support. Thank you everyone. Seriously means so much to me. This isn't the end though. Just the beginning of something special.'
Paige, whose real name is Saraya-Jade Bevis, made her debut in wrestling at age 13 in the World Association of Wrestling, a promotion run by her family, under the name Britani Knight.
You may also want to watch:
In 2011, she signed a contract with WWE and made her debut in January 2012 under the ring name Saraya.
She is the subject of a new film called Fighting With My Family which is due to be released in September.
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 4 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 5 Prime minister promises "February sunset" for coronavirus tiers
- 6 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 7 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
The film by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Stephen Merchant follows the Knight family and Paige's journey to become a WWE champion.
A clip from the movie was released on Saturday (April 7) and features Florence Pugh as Paige and Jack Lowden as her brother Zak, backstage at WWE try outs. During the scene the pair bump into wrestling legend The Rock and ask him for advice on winning over the crowd.
Paige introduced the exclusive footage on Saturday at the NXT TakeOver: New Orleans show.
She said: 'Paige here and I'm extremely excited to show you a sneak peek of the new movie based on my life called Fighting With My Family.
'This scene where my brother and I are backstage at WWE for the very first time features some incredible actors playing us and some guy in a hoodie you might have heard of.'
Also starring Lena Headey, Nick Frost and Vince Vaughn, scenes for the movie were filmed on location in Norwich and Great Yarmouth in April 2017.