‘Our family are devastated; there are no words’ - next-door neighbours speak after Ingham Swan blaze
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A family whose home was destroyed when the Ingham Swan pub caught fire have spoken for the first time about their devastation.
Tom and Sarah Scott, who lived at Town House, Swan Corner, next door to the pub, were away on holiday when the 14th century pub went up in flames.
Since the fire they have been living with friends.
The family did not wish to speak to the EDP in person, but issued a statement in which they described their loss. They also revealed that their beloved cat survived the blaze.
The family statement reads, 'In the early hours of Monday, September 11 our home was destroyed by a major fire. We are so thankful that there was no loss of life and no one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
'We would like to thank our neighbours Craig and Caroline for raising the alarm and the firefighters who were, sadly, not able to save our house. We understand the fire started in the pub and the southerly wind caused it to spread to our thatch.
'Our much-loved family home of 35 years was where we raised our three children and had once been the village shop and post office, and central to village life for a very long time. Our family are devastated; there are no words.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 4 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 5 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 6 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 7 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 10 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
'We are trying to find personal items but everything has been affected; fortunately our cat survived.
'We feel even sadder now, two weeks after the fire, as the gable end and the chimney stack had to be partially demolished, resulting in further damage to our Grade 2 listed home.
'The only truly heartening outcome has been that family, friends and people who hardly knew us, have sent messages of support, come and helped us, and even offered us temporary accommodation. We would like to say how thankful we are to all those kind and generous people.'
Meanwhile, bosses at the Ingham Swan aim to be back in business next year.
More than 45 officers rushed to the pub on Sea Palling Road after the fire broke out. The building's thatch was totally destroyed and its interior gutted. Since the blaze, the surrounding roads have been closed and a spokesman for Norfolk highways said they could remain shut until October.