Opinion split over Aldi plan for Dereham
- Credit: Archant
Opinion is divided over new plans for the former Cemex site in Dereham which could now see an Aldi supermarket instead of a hotel taking a plot alongside the planned McDonald's and Marston's pub.
Last week the EDP and Dereham Times reported that businessman Andrew Scales had submitted a new application for a 1500-square-metre Aldi supermarket as part of the redevelopment of the Yaxham Road site, providing up to 40 jobs. This would replace the 51-bedroom hotel that was granted planning permission last year.
But while some readers have contacted us to show their support for the new store, others feel another low-cost food store is unnecessary and a hotel would be a more attractive option.
Susan King emailed to say: 'I think we have far too many supermarkets in Dereham. Let's have a nice hotel to get people to come to our town.'
While A & J Drury said: 'We would much prefer to see an Aldi store built as part of the Cemex site redevelopment as opposed to a hotel as, let's face it, Dereham can hardly be described as a Norfolk beauty spot!'
You may also want to watch:
Abbey Grant said there were already enough supermarkets in Dereham. 'Think of all the tourists we would be getting in if they knew Dereham had a hotel. I know Dereham isn't exactly a tourist location but if friends or family members come from far away, they know they can stay in a hotel they can trust.'
Ivan and Olive White from Toftwood say they already use an Aldi in Norwich and 'over the years have grown to like it more and more'.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
They added: 'It would be great to have one on our doorstep to help us as we get older and most of all to save on fuel. We feel a lot of people would welcome Aldi to Dereham.'
But J James said: 'Why another food shop? I think it is time that the council called a halt to these oversized stores and supported Dereham in getting a decent hotel into the area. Just look around at the low standard of choice for visitors' accommodation in this town. We need someone like Premier Inn.'
And Daphne Edwards suggested the town did not need either. She said: 'We have Lidl, Aldi in Fakenham and Norwich. We do not need another hotel either as there is The George and the Kings Head who only just survive in Dereham. Why do we not have a family clothes shop like Primark?'
What do you think? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.