One person still missing after major blaze in Sedge Fen, near Lakenheath, on the Norfolk border
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2011
One person is still missing and a cordon in place after a bungalow fire on the Norfolk border last night.
Five fire crews were called to blaze covering a 20m by 25m area at the home in Sedge Fen, near Lakenheath, at around 7.50pm yesterday.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said one person was 'expected' to be at the single-storey property.
But last night, the spokesman said it is not yet known whether the individual was still inside.
This morning, a spokesman from Suffolk Fire and Rescue confirmed the person was still unaccounted for.
You may also want to watch:
Seven fire engines attended the scene with crews wearing breathing equipment using hose reels to tackle the flames, along with paramedics and police.
At its height there were 40 firefighters were involved in tackling the blaze, which was brought under control by 12.45am.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 9 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
They used hose reel jets and wearing breathing apparatus to fight the flames.
Suffolk Constabulary put a cordon around the area, which remains in place this morning, and two fire crews remain at the property.
A police spokeswoman said yesterday: 'Police were contacted at 8pm by the fire service reporting a house fire in Sedge Fen.
'Police are at the scene assisting fire.
'It's unknown whether there is an unaccounted person at this time. Fire are searching the area at the moment.
'We can't say anymore as it is too early.'
Sedge Fen is a small, rural village in Suffolk close to the Cambridgeshire and Norfolk borders.