One in five haven’t cycled for the last ten years - when was the last time you rode a bike?
- Credit: Steve Adams
A study has revealed that a gear grinding one in five of UK citizens haven't riden a bike for over a decade, but how long a break from cycling have you taken?
The British Heart Foundation (BHF) is urging people to get back on the saddle as a way to improve health and lower the risk of heart disease.
A survey, carried out by Censuswide with 2,047 UK adults, revealed that one in five haven't cycled in the last ten years, and as a result many have forgotten how to ride.
Elizabeth Tack, a spokesperson for BHF, said: 'It's surprising to learn that whilst there is a clear appetite for cycling in the UK, there is still a vast amount of us who are not getting on our bikes often enough, or even at all.'
The charity is encouraging people to sign up for its London to Brighton Bike ride to improve health whilst also fundraising research into heart disease.
You may also want to watch:
The event takes place on June 18 and is suited to all abilities.
Elizabeth added: 'Cycling is a fantastic way of keeping your heart healthy, which is why we're encouraging everyone to dust off their bikes this year and challenge themselves to take on our London to Brighton Bike Ride to help support our vital research into heart disease.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 6 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
'It's a fantastic day out for all the family and every pound you raise will help make a difference to millions.'
• When was the last time you rode a bike? Let us know in our poll.