One in five haven’t cycled for the last ten years - when was the last time you rode a bike?
- Credit: Steve Adams
A study has revealed that a gear grinding one in five of UK citizens haven't riden a bike for over a decade, but how long a break from cycling have you taken?
The British Heart Foundation (BHF) is urging people to get back on the saddle as a way to improve health and lower the risk of heart disease.
A survey, carried out by Censuswide with 2,047 UK adults, revealed that one in five haven't cycled in the last ten years, and as a result many have forgotten how to ride.
Elizabeth Tack, a spokesperson for BHF, said: 'It's surprising to learn that whilst there is a clear appetite for cycling in the UK, there is still a vast amount of us who are not getting on our bikes often enough, or even at all.'
The charity is encouraging people to sign up for its London to Brighton Bike ride to improve health whilst also fundraising research into heart disease.
You may also want to watch:
The event takes place on June 18 and is suited to all abilities.
Elizabeth added: 'Cycling is a fantastic way of keeping your heart healthy, which is why we're encouraging everyone to dust off their bikes this year and challenge themselves to take on our London to Brighton Bike Ride to help support our vital research into heart disease.
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 6 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
'It's a fantastic day out for all the family and every pound you raise will help make a difference to millions.'
• When was the last time you rode a bike? Let us know in our poll.