Old Catton’s Royal Oak pub closes and landlord fears “it could become a Tesco store”
Another Norwich pub could be lost forever with an Old Catton watering hole closing following a revamp.
The Royal Oak in North Walsham Road shuts today.
Landlord Darren Reilly, who also runs the nearby Woodman, took over the Royal Oak last year.
But he said the Enterprise Inns-owned pub was closing and its future as a pub was in doubt.
He said: 'The pub shuts today. I took it on a year ago and took out a one-year lease, which I have not renewed. It could become a Tesco store or whatever now.'
You may also want to watch:
The Irishman remains in charge at the Woodman, where he has been for about nine years.
He had hoped to make the Royal Oak a magnet for real ale lovers in the area after it reopened following a complete refurbishment, with all new flooring, new carpeting, new upholstery and redecoration inside.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 3 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 4 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 5 Photo shows car inches from knocking cyclist off road
- 6 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 9 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 10 Hotel's new pizza restaurant enjoys 'fantastic' first month
Mr Reilly said last year that he saw potential at the pub, which was really popular about 10 years ago, and dates back to at least 1830.
About 2,500 copies of a newsletter were distributed to people in the area telling them what they had done at the pub.
Feedback was initially positive with customers praising the stunning new inside of the pub, and Mr Reilly planned to hold meetings and functions in the pub in the future.
Enterprise Inns was unavailable for comment.
The Evening News has been urging customers to return to pubs in our Love your Local campaign.
To see more stories from the campaign visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal
What's happening at your local pub? Let us know. Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org