Oh crumbs! The average Brit will eat 18,304 sandwiches in their lifetime
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A new study has revealed that the average Brit will spend almost £48,339 of their dough on sandwiches in their lifetime.
The people of our sandwich-loving nation will eat 18,304 of them throughout their life, with 56% eating at least one per day.
Over a third of boring Brits will even have the same filling every day.
The survey, carried out by Heinz Seriously Good Mayo, revealed the BLT as the sarnie of choice, closely followed by chicken mayo and bacon with ketchup or brown sauce.
From leftover Chinese take-away to lasagne, the most unusual fillings were also revealed – mashed potato and sweetcorn sandwich anyone?
You may also want to watch:
The sandwich is thought to have been invented by John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, in the 1700s who asked his servant to bring him 'meat tucked between two pieces of bread.'
A spokesperson for Heinz said: 'These findings show Brits are very particular when it comes to their sandwiches – without a doubt it's still our go-to option for lunch.'
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 3 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 6 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
The survey of 2,000 Brits was conducted by Heinz.
Most popular sandwich fillings:
2. Chicken mayo
3. Bacon with ketchup or brown sauce
4. Ham and cheese
5. Cheese and pickle
6. Smoked salmon and cream cheese
7. Tuna mayonnaise
8. Egg mayonnaise
9. Prawn mayonnaise
11. Beef and horseradish
12. Chip butty
13. Bacon and Brie
14. Coronation chicken
15. Sausage and egg
16. Egg and cress
17. Pulled pork
18. Ham salad and mayonnaise
19. Turkey and cranberry sauce
20. Corned beef
22. Fish finger and tartare sauce
23. Ham and mayonnaise
24. Peanut butter and jam
25. Just mayonnaise
Most unusual sandwich fillings:
1. Roast dinner leftovers
2. Baked beans and cheese
3. Mayonnaise and crisps
4. Salad cream and salt and vinegar crisps
5. Leftover curry take-away
6. Instant noodle sandwich
7. Cream cheese and jam
8. Cheese and marmalade
10. Onion ring and ketchup
11. Leftover Chinese take-away
12. Cheese and chocolate spread
13. Marmite and banana
14. Peanut butter and marmite
15. Mashed potato and sweetcorn
What's your favourite sandwich filling? Let us know in the comments.