Lord Suffield: Family’s 200-year link with Norfolk cricket
PUBLISHED: 08:26 20 December 2011
A family link with Norfolk cricket stretching back almost 200 years has ended with the death of Lord Suffield.
He was president of Norfolk County Cricket Club in the 150th anniversary year in 1977, following in the footsteps of his distinguished ancestors.
When the club was formed in January 1827, a Baron Suffield was president. Again in 1877 when the club was revived, another Lord Suffield served as president. The family played a leading role in the development of Cromer during the late 19th century when Gunton Hall, which was the family’s seat for generations, once was home to a herd of the distinctive British White cattle.
Anthony Philip Harbord-Hamond, who was the 11th Baron Suffield, died aged 89 and was known as Norfolk’s painting peer. A talented watercolourist, who was known for remote landscapes and open skies in Norfolk and further afield, he also painted Norfolk country houses including Felbrigg.
At a London exhibition in 1989, the overwhelming majority of more than 50 of his works were snapped up.
Lord Suffield, who succeeded his father in 1951, went to Eton and was commissioned in the Coldstream Guards in 1942.
During the second world war, he took part in the North African and Italian campaigns.
He fought in Malaya between 1948 and 1950 with the 2nd battalion and was awarded the Military Cross. He retired from the army in 1961.
He was appointed by the Queen in April 1973 as one of 27 members of the Queen’s bodyguard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-At-Arms.
He retired in 1992 and for his last two years’ service was one of the five most senior officers of the corps, holding post of harbinger.
His eldest son, the Hon Charles, succeeds to the title, which was created in 1786.
Heir to the title is his second son, the Hon John Harbord-Hamond. His wife, Lady Suffield, died in 1995.
A funeral service was held on Friday.