Norwich wrestling star Paige to retire from WWE
- Credit: John Giamundo
Norwich wrestling star Paige has announced she is to retire from WWE.
The 25-year-old - part of the Knight family of wrestlers - told her fans of her decision at Monday Night Raw in New Orleans.
It comes after the star suffered a neck injury when she was kicked from behind by Sasha Banks at an event in December.
Addressing the Raw crowd, she described the ring as her heart, her soul and her blood.
About her decision, she said: 'This is one of the hardest things I will ever have to say in my career.'
You may also want to watch:
And the crowd replied: 'Thank you Paige.'
Paige, whose real name is Saraya-Jade Bevis, made her debut in wrestling at age 13 in the World Association of Wrestling, a promotion run by her family, under the name Britani Knight.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 8 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
In 2011, she signed a contract with WWE and made her debut in January 2012 under the ring name Saraya.
Paige is the subject of a new film called Fighting With My Family which is due to be released in September.
The film by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Stephen Merchant follows the Knight family and Paige's journey to become a WWE champion.
A clip from the movie, was released on Saturday (April 7) and features Florence Pugh as Paige and Jack Lowden as her brother Zak, backstage at WWE try outs. During the scene the pair bump into wrestling legend The Rock and ask him for advice on winning over the crowd.
Paige introduced the exclusive footage on Saturday at the NXT TakeOver: New Orleans show.
She said: 'Paige here and I'm extremely excited to show you a sneak peek of the new movie based on my life called Fighting With My Family.
'This scene where my brother and I are backstage at WWE for the very first time features some incredible actors playing us and some guy in a hoodie you might have heard of.'
Also starring Lena Headey, Nick Frost and Vince Vaughn, scenes for the movie were filmed on location in Norwich and Great Yarmouth in April 2017.