Norwich theatre’s search for lead actor to star in George’s Marvellous Medicine
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
It may be the middle of summer, but the search is already on to find the actor to play the title role in the Maddermarket Theatre's Christmas show.
The city arts venue is planning to present a stage version of the Roald Dahl classic George's Marvellous Medicine for the festive season and is looking for an adult actor to play the part of George.
Director Peter Sowerbutts, who has previously played George's dad and grandma in several productions of the show, said: 'George's Marvellous Medicine is a boy's story, it's all about George and I just think it's a wonderful, wonderful story. 'It's such a fabulous idea, a little boy who has a horrible grandma decides to make a medicine to make her nicer.
'It's a hilarious tale.'
While the character of George is just eight years old, Mr Sowerbutts is looking for an adult actor aged 17 to 25 because of the demanding nature of the role – the character never leaves the stage during the whole 112-minute play.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sowerbutts said: 'We are looking for somebody with experience and with a huge zest for life because you cannot just 'act' eight years old you have to 'be' eight years old, because if you just act it the children in the audience will spot it. It's an art form in itself.'
He added: 'I'd like George to be no taller than five foot nine inches. Quentin Blake, who drew George, has made him blonde but he doesn't have to be blonde in the show, but he does have to have that magical ability to make people say, 'How old are you? You look remarkably young!'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 8 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?
- 9 Concern raised over work on anaerobic digestion plant on outskirts of village
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
Auditions will take place at the Maddermarket Theatre on Monday, July 18 and Tuesday, July 19 from 6pm until 9pm.
For more details and to book an audition, visit www.maddermarket.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rehearsals will start on November 7 and will be mostly weekday evenings from 7pm until 10pm.
George's Marvellous Medicine will be at the Maddermarket Theatre from December 16 to 31. The Roald Dahl classic has been adapted for the stage by Stuart Paterson and the Maddermarket production is being sponsored by Arnolds Keys.
Tickets £8-£12. To book, call the box office on 01603 620917 or visit www.maddermarket.co.uk
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email Emma Knights at email@example.com