Norwich theatre prepares to take audiences on an out-of-this-world musical adventure
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Audiences are being taken on an out-of-this-world musical adventure at Norwich's Maddermarket Theatre this month.
Return to the Forbidden Planet is the city theatre's latest production, with the first performance due to take off into outer space tonight and the show running until July 30.
The venue's stage has been transformed into a space station for the classic musical written by Bob Carlton which puts an intergalactic twist on Shakespeare's The Tempest and mixes in an array of hits. Terry Molloy, who played mad scientist Davros in Doctor Who, is also making an on-screen cameo appearance in the show.
Director Peter Beck said it had been great fun creating the sci-fi production which aimed to get the audience dancing in the aisles with songs such as Great Balls of Fire and Shake, Rattle and Roll.
'You get these three three elements in the show - obviously Shakespeare's The Tempest and references to other Shakespeare plays, you get the rock and roll songs from the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s and then you get the Sci-fi,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
'It's great for Whovians and Trekkies. If you like Lost in Space, this will be right up your street. If you like jukebox musicals, it's stuffed full of rock and roll songs too. It's very, very funny, very uplifting. It will have you dancing in the aisles. Dancing is positively encouraged!'
The show runs until July 30. To book tickets, call 01603 620917 or visit www.maddermarket.co.uk
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 8 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 9 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 10 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire