Norwich South MP SImon Wright helps Norwich Foodbank at Waitrose in Eaton
Norwich South MP Simon Wright was on hand to help Norwich Foodbank's latest supermarket collection at the weekend.
More than 700kg of food was collected at the Waitrose store in Eaton on Saturday, which will now be packed into food boxes to be given to people in times of crisis.
Volunteers from the charity were collecting items from shoppers, between 10am and 3pm, and project manager Grant Habershon was thrilled with the response they received.
He said: 'The supermarket collection day was a great success thanks to the wonderful staff and shoppers at Waitrose and our brilliant volunteers, whose time, enthusiasm and energy made the collection run smoothly.
'On the day we collected a tremendous 702kg. Waitrose shoppers responded tremendously and as a great number were very keen to donate food on a regular basis, we are now looking for a permanent collection point in the Eaton area.'
The next supermarket collection being held by the charity is at Morrisons on Riverside, Norwich, on Friday, March 16.
To volunteer to help call organiser Jean Gotts on 07955 920590 or email email@example.com
- 1 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 4 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 7 Sale of council farm as part of 4,000 homes plan sparks controversy
- 8 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 9 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 10 Lorry crashes into ditch in village near Norwich
For more details about Norwich Foodbank, including details of how to volunteer and where to donate, go to www.networknorwich.co.uk