Norwich show gives Alice in Wonderland a circus-themed twist
- Credit: submitted
A classic novel loved by generations is being given a new circus-themed twist in a show heading to Norwich Theatre Royal.
The city-based Chermond School of Gymnastics will bring their own interpretation of Alice In Wonderland to life with Aspects of Alice.
Inspired by Lewis Carroll's classic story, a cast ranging in age from four to 19 will tell the tale of Alice's adventures using the likes of unicyclists, aerial acts including students climbing silks, an aerial hoop spectacular, a high-energy scene on trampettes, and both juggling and hula-hooping with fire.
The production will take to the stage on Sunday, September 11 at 7pm and will also feature dancers from the Funky Feet dancing school, plus a guest appearance from Norwich-based entertainer Kenny Moore who has performed all over Europe and will be taking on the role of The Queen Of Hearts.
Cherie Alcock, Chermond's director of coaching, said: 'This show features our own version of the story of Alice packed with circus skills.
'You will still see all the characters you know like the White Rabbit who will be riding a giraffe bike, Tweedledum and Tweedledee walking on a globe, and Alice metamorphosing into lots of little Alices.
'It will also be great entertainment for all ages.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 9 Man in 30s arrested on suspicion of drug dealing in rural village
- 10 Warning after beach-goers hit with parking fines
'There will be lots to keep children interested as well as some very intriguing elements for the adults.'
Chermond works with young people drawn from across Norwich, teaching them acrobatic, gymnastic and circus skills at their city base as well as taking part in a number of performances.
They have appeared in the Lord Mayor's Procession in the city and staged productions at the Hippodrome Circus as well as previous spectacular shows at the Theatre Royal.
Aspects of Alice is at Norwich Theatre Royal on Sunday, September 11 at 7pm.
For more information and to book tickets, call the box office on 01603 630000 or visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com