Bring the noise! Landlord hopes World Cup turnout could win pub £10,000
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich pub is in the running to win a £10,000 cash prize if they can prove that they have the most passionate and vocal fans during the World Cup.
The Murderers on Timber Hill is one of ten venues who have been shortlisted for the pub futures grant which is being awarded by Budweiser.
It is in response to news that two pubs a day in Britain are currently closing.
The hope is that the grant will help to secure the future of the winning bar for their passionate, football-loving locals.
Budweiser are installing a new TV into the Murderers which will list all of the shortlisted pubs and show live updates on screen of how noisy they all are during the fixtures, thanks to decibel monitoring devices.
You may also want to watch:
The pub that accumulates the most noise across the month wins the money.
Philip Cutter landlord of The Murderers said: 'This is not just about the England games. We have a table of 20 booked in for the France game on Saturday, another 30 booked for the Spain v Portugal game on Friday, so it's about creating an atmosphere for every game during the tournament'.
- 1 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 7 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 8 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 9 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 10 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
There has been some concern across the pub industry in recent years after research showed that pub closures have more than doubled since 2016,
A Budweiser spokesperson said: 'The winning venue will be awarded with £10,000 that will be invested directly into an aspect of the pub that will improve its offering to its loyal punters, such as its entertainment or new seating. It will hopefully help to ensure they are around for a long time to come'.
Mr Cutter said: I am really excited about the competition. Anything that promotes pubs and drives people back into pubs is great. The World Cup is a great event which brings everyone together. You can watch football at home but you can't recreate that atmosphere that you get in a pub.
The FIFA World Cup starts on Thursday 14 June, with England's first match against Tunisia on Monday 18 June at 19:00.
Mr Cutter added: 'Please support your pubs, enjoy the football. We like to think we do it well here. We won a national award at the Great British pub awards two years ago as the best place in the UK to watch live sport.
The atmosphere is fantastic here and that's all thanks to football fans in Norwich'.