Norwich North MP Chloe Smith ‘cannot possibly comment’ on Theresa May’s future as prime minister
- Credit: Archant
Norwich North MP Chloe Smith said she could not comment on Theresa May's future as prime minister.
Ms Smith, who retained her seat by a narrow margin, refused to answer when asked if she thought Mrs May's position needed consideration.
The Conservative MP said: 'I cannot possibly comment on that. We are in the midst of things.'
She made the comment shortly after being re-elected in the early hours of Friday morning. She beat Labour candidate Chris Jones by just 507 votes.
It comes as Broadland's newly re-elected Conservative MP, Keith Simpson, said Mrs May had been 'damaged' by the election results.
You may also want to watch:
But he believed it was too early to say whether she should remain as prime minister.
'She [Theresa May] has obviously been damaged by this,' Mr Simpson said. 'But my heart sinks at having to go through another leadership contest.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 6 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 10 City Council withdraws support for £153m Western Link
Senior Conservatives have reportedly said that Mrs May has no intention of resigning from her role.