Norwich North MP Chloe Smith ‘cannot possibly comment’ on Theresa May’s future as prime minister
- Credit: Archant
Norwich North MP Chloe Smith said she could not comment on Theresa May's future as prime minister.
Ms Smith, who retained her seat by a narrow margin, refused to answer when asked if she thought Mrs May's position needed consideration.
The Conservative MP said: 'I cannot possibly comment on that. We are in the midst of things.'
She made the comment shortly after being re-elected in the early hours of Friday morning. She beat Labour candidate Chris Jones by just 507 votes.
It comes as Broadland's newly re-elected Conservative MP, Keith Simpson, said Mrs May had been 'damaged' by the election results.
You may also want to watch:
But he believed it was too early to say whether she should remain as prime minister.
'She [Theresa May] has obviously been damaged by this,' Mr Simpson said. 'But my heart sinks at having to go through another leadership contest.'
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 6 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 7 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 10 How former teacher jailed for abuse of young boys was pillar of community
Senior Conservatives have reportedly said that Mrs May has no intention of resigning from her role.