Norwich Lanes Summer Fayre will not return for 2018, organisers announce
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
The popular Norwich Lanes Summer Fayre will be not be returning for 2018, organisers have announced.
The annual event, which usually coincides with the lord mayor's celebrations, regularly attracts crowds in their thousands.
Organisers said visitor numbers at last year's festival 'exceeded all expectations', causing concerns over public health and safety.
A post on the Norwich Lanes website, said: 'The Lanes Fayre, which has been running for over 10 years started off much like a village fete but has grown into one of the major attractions in the city's event calendar.
'The increase in footfall however has come at a price, with hugely inflated insurance fees and limited funding adding financial pressure to the fayre's coffers.'
You may also want to watch:
Organisers hope the event will return in 2019 following 'consultation and the engagement of a experienced street festival producer'.
The Norwich Lanes are home to numerous independent retailers, restaurants and bars.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
Last year's event saw everything from street markets, live music, art trails and workshops set up in the area's streets, alleyways and courtyards.
Organisers said there will still be live music on St Gregory's Green over the weekend of July 7 and 8, 2018.
The green will also be licensed so people can bring beer, wine and cocktails out from the nearby Birdcage bar.
Anyone interested in sponsoring the 2019 event, email email@example.com