Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft to get new gas powered buses
A fleet of 13 new gas-powered single deck buses will soon be operational in Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft, the boss of Anglian Bus has revealed.
And for the first time in just over 50 years, an hourly train service will run along the entire length of the East Suffolk railway line between Ipswich and Lowestoft from December 10, following completion of the long-awaited passing loop at Beccles.
The two pieces of news were given to a meeting of the East Suffolk Travellers' Association (ESTA) on Saturday.
Andrew Pursey, general manager of Anglian Bus, said the push towards greener transport would mean his firm was 'the first operator in the UK to operate these gas buses.'
Earlier this year the Department for Transport announced successful bids as part of round three of the government's Green Bus Fund. With the aim to reduce fuel emission levels by encouraging bus operators and local councils to use more eco-friendly vehicles, �3m was announced for the East of England, including �624,000 for the 13 new gas powered buses for use by Anglian Bus.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pursey said: 'We trialled the bus on three different routes last year and were extremely pleased with the results and feedback from drivers and passengers. We were successful with our bid earlier this year and I am hoping we will see them in a few weeks' time – to start in December or January.'
ESTA Chairman Trevor Garrod said: 'There are one or two small buses that run on normal gas, but certainly nothing on services around Lowestoft. So this will be an important step forward towards greener transport.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault