Norwich dog swallows Teflon baking sheet
When Pauline Dunthorne handed her dog some leftovers to eat, little did she expect him to swallow the baking sheet.
The drama unfolded when the married mum-of-two from Norwich put the Teflon baking sheet down for her dog Rocky to lick up the steak juices while the family tucked into their dinner.
To her surprise, the hungry boxer took the baking sheet which was on top of a tray as well as the leftovers. The teaching assistant tried to get the baking sheet back from her pooch, but the next thing she knew, he had swallowed the 15 by 10 inch plastic sheet whole.
Mrs Dunthorne, 50, who lives in Bowers Avenue, Mile Cross, and has had Rocky for 12 years, said: 'I picked up the tray and realised the baking sheet had gone. I looked at Rocky and he just swallowed it down. I couldn't believe it.
'I rang the vets and they said to keep an eye on him for two or three days but there was no way I could have done anything to help him.'
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Dunthorne, who also has two terriers Smudge and Milo, said she rang the vet again and was told to take Rocky in immediately.
The vet gave him two injections and the baking tray came back up.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 3 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 8 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 9 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 10 City draw up target list
'Out it shot,' said Mrs Dunthorne. 'I've never seen anything like it. It would've killed him if I hadn't taken him to the vets.'
Mrs Dunthorne, who works at Mile Cross Primary School, said Rocky has been 'fine' since the incident.
The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) has a varied casebook of pets that have swallowed unusual objects and can now add a Teflon baking sheet to its list.
Other bizarre items found in pet's tummies include rubber ducks, socks, golf balls and corks.
There is a name for this type of behaviour in pets – pica. Dogs use their mouth to explore objects as well as to eat them. Sometimes the two functions get confused and a dog will eat an object by mistake, even though it had only meant to investigate it.
Sean Wensley, senior veterinary surgeon at PDSA, said: 'It is very important to stop dogs eating inappropriate items because they can cause serious illness if they become lodged in the intestines.
'Symptoms that may indicate your pet has something blocking the intestines include vomiting, abdominal pain, restlessness, dehydration and loss of appetite. If your pet shows any of these symptoms you should speak to your vet immediately.'
Has your pet had to undergo life-saving treatment after swallowing an unusual item? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email email@example.com.