Norwich mayor reflects on why he loves Norfolk for Norfolk Day
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
New Lord Mayor of Norwich, councillor Martin Schmierer, reflects on his favourite aspects of Norfolk life ahead of Norfolk Day.
1. Throughout history and in recent times we have shown that we will always welcome those that seek refuge. From the Dutch 'strangers' to the Syrian refugees fleeing war.
2. The county continues to offer a wide-ranging cultural scene, which includes an impressive number of theatres. Similarly our music scene remains strong.
3. Norwich has a growing and vibrant literary and art scene along with a proud history in this regard.
4. The fact that Norwich has two universities and other higher education colleges which offer a wide range of courses and welcome students from across the world.
You may also want to watch:
5. Norfolk has a varied social scene and provides so many opportunities to have fun - from the terraces of Carrow Road to some of finest restaurants in the UK.
6. I am always impressed with the diverse flora and fauna and natural beauty that we find in Norfolk. We live in a beautiful part of the world.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 3 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 4 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 5 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 6 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 7 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 8 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
- 9 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 10 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
7. While Norwich and Norfolk are not devoid of the social problems that affect other areas in the UK, we have created something of an antidote to these social ills.
8. Norfolk has a strong sense of identity and community, with the fine city of Norwich at its heart. Indeed the city resembles a large village and no-one is a stranger for long.
9. We are blessed by beautiful buildings that dot the county. In Norwich we have two cathedrals, an imposing castle, a bustling market and many medieval churches.
10. The county has a rich history with many famous sons and daughters including Admiral Horatio Nelson and Edith Cavell and even fictitious characters like Alan Partridge.