Norwich community centre to throw open its doors to encourage people to get involved
- Credit: Silver Road Community Centre
A Norwich community centre will hold an open day over the weekend, to showcase the events taking place at the centre - and encouraging everyone to get involved.
Silver Road Community Centre will throw open its doors on Sunday, three years after the community-minded committee won what was then the Silver Rooms, and given them for 25 years with a £1 rent.
Centre manager Julie Brociek-Coulton said: 'Since then we have pulled up the carpet from the main hall revealing the original flooring underneath, with generous help from The Jarrold Trust and Geoffrey Watling Charity.
'We've taken the kitchen out and put it in the prep room - making the kitchen into a café. We had college students decorate the café, laid the flooring with monies from the Evening News pot, painted a mural on the back wall, hung paintings from the college students and hung curtains in the room.'
A £10,000 grant was used to create a welcoming outdoor space, and a Norwich City Council grant allowed a new boiler.
You may also want to watch:
'Our charity shop has just opened, and our Silver Community Reuse Art Project has been opened several weeks now and is helping families to buy and reuse donated paper etc to do art and craft at home.
'Our book club has been opened for several weeks now, and Silver Moments - our over 50s café - is very succesful on a Thursday,' Mrs Brociek-Coulton added.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
And she encouraged anyone interested in using the centre - which can also be rented out - to go along to the open day on Sunday, between 11am - 4pm.
'These are just some of the wonderful things we have achieved over the past three years thanks to many wonderful volunteers we have been able to encourage to come on board,' she said.
For more information, visit www.silverroadcc.org or search Silver Road Community Centre on Facebook.