'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans were celebrating Premier League promotion earlier than expected on Saturday after their rivals Swansea and Brentford slipped up in the race for the top two.
Their draws, against Wycombe and Millwall respectively, meant City were promoted before they had even kicked a ball against Bournemouth this evening.
In the city centre, fans were already enjoying the sunshine when the news landed.
Canaries supporter Steve Balls, 46, from Honingham, was out with his son Elliott, 11, when they found out.
He said: “It's brilliant.
“It’s typical that this year we’ve all got season tickets and we haven’t been able to see them.
“But it’s been a great season, just a shame we haven’t been able to see them.
“I hope we learn from last time we went up.”
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 4 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 5 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 6 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
- 7 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 8 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 9 Housing association hoping to build 461 homes in south Norfolk town
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
Elliott said he thought it was “great” City had been promoted.
City fan Lee Brooker, 42, from Great Yarmouth, was out in Norwich shopping with his daughter Osscara.
He said: “We’re very, very happy - over the moon.
“When they got relegated last season we were very sad.
“It’s a shame we haven’t been able to go this season to support them. It’s just very unfortunate there were no fans to witness it. Hopefully next season we will be able to watch them.”
Seven year old Osscara said it was “terrific” City had been promoted.
Albert White was in the city centre, wearing his Canaries scarf with pride.
“I am very pleased. They have done a fantastic job," he said.
"It’s one of the best seasons I have seen. I will celebrate with a cup of tea. I don’t think people will celebrate much as they can’t go inside the pubs, only outdoors.
"Let’s hope next season goes well.”
On social media, fans hailed their heroes after an incredible season in which Daniel Farke's side have been far and away the best team in the Championship.
The club led the way with a montage picture of the squad and coaching staff.
Thrilled fans poured on to Twitter to spread the joy - with the celebrations set to continue into the evening before tonight's 8pm kick-off.
There was more good news for the Canaries in the game involving the Championship's other top four side, with Watford losing to Luton, putting Norwich on the brink of winning the league title.
- How are you celebrating Norwich City's promotion? Let us know by tweeting @EDP24 or by emailing your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org