Norwich City fans believe Alex Neil should be given another chance after 3-0 win
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans hailed a perfect start to the new year after yesterday's 3-0 victory over Derby County.
The win lifted some of the doom and gloom which has enveloped Carrow Road in recent weeks, and fans speaking after the match said that under-fire manager Alex Neil deserved to be given more time as he strives to turn the club's fortunes around.
The Canaries secured a comfortable win during yesterday's Sky Bet Championship clash, thanks to a hat-trick from Nelson Oliveira.
And despite recent calls for Neil to step down, some fans leaving Carrow Road yesterday were more optimistic about his future.
Chris Boast, 32, from Norwich, said: 'It is a big improvement and if it carries on, hopefully he will stay in his job.
You may also want to watch:
'But it has taken a lot of pressure from the fans and media for Neil to change his formation and squad, and if it takes that much pressure, then maybe the job is too big for him.'
Meanwhile, Rob Lewis, 72, from King's Lynn, who saw the game with his 10-year-old grandson Patrick, said: 'I can't see who they are going to replace him with, but I think we have to give him a chance now. The players really fought for him today.'
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
Just last week, we ran an online poll asking fans whether Neil should stay following the Boxing Day defeat against Reading.
More than 10,800 people voted, and 93pc said it was time for him to go.
Glenn Wilson, 47, from Tasburgh, had been of those who felt he should resign.
But yesterday he said: 'I wanted him gone, but if he picks the same players, and keeps this system, then he should stay. However that is only one win, we have a long way to go yet.' And Cheryl King, 69, from Taverham, added: 'I think it would be unkind to sack him after tonight's performance. He just needs to stick to the team which plays the best.'
Meanwhile, reaction on social media was slight more polarised.
Adam Savoury tweeted: 'That's more like it!
'More like the football we played under Alex Neil in 2015. This HAS to be the turning point. On The Ball City!'
Twitter user Jonathan Parker wrote: 'God a lot of Norwich fans have a short memory! One win and suddenly Alex Neil is great, we'll just forget the previous run shall we?!'
What do you think? Email email@example.com