Norwich Cathedral’s ancient architectural splendour is captured in colourful paintings
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
The ancient architectural splendour of Norwich Cathedral has been the inspiration behind touring artist Rob Pointon's work all this week.
The historic Norwich building is one of a number of cathedrals Mr Pointon is visiting across the UK, France and Spain to create paintings to feature in a summer exhibition for the Three Choirs Festival in Worcester.
His visit to Norwich has coincided with the installation of three new stained glass windows designed by British abstract painter John McLean, and the beautiful colours these windows cast across the cathedral's interior have helped to inspire Mr Pointon's work which plays with colour and perspective.
'I have been here all week and it has been great to see people's reactions to the new colourful light on the space,' said Mr Pointon, who described the cathedral's surroundings as 'spectacular.'
Mr Pointon has already visited the cathedrals in Gloucester, Hereford and Worcester for his project. He is also going to Canterbury Cathedral, as well as travelling to France to paint Notre-Dame in Paris and Rouen Cathedral, and to Spain to paint La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
You may also want to watch:
• Mr Pointon's paintings will go on display at the Chapter House, in Worcester Cathedral, during the Three Choirs Festival from July 26 until August 2. For more information visit www.robpointon.co.uk
• An exhibition about the creation of Norwich Cathedral's new windows by John McLean is at the cathedral's Hostry until April 27.
- 1 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 2 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 3 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 4 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 5 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 6 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 7 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 10 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
• Do you have a story about and art project in Norwich? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com