Norwich Cathedral announces The Comedy of Errors for its 2017 Shakespeare Festival
- Credit: Archant
Shakespearean comedy is set to return to the beautiful surrounds of Norwich Cathedral as the historic venue reveals the play that will take centre stage for its annual festival celebrating the Bard.
All-male theatre company The Lord Chamberlain's Men will perform The Comedy of Errors in the cloisters on Friday, July 14 and Saturday, July 15 for the Shakespeare Festival which is now in its ninth year.
James Shelton, Norwich Cathedral's marketing manager, said: 'We are excited to announce the return of The Lord Chamberlain's Men for this summer's Shakespeare Festival. The company have always been so well received by our audiences, which have grown in number since their first performance here in 2014. Based on the quality of previous productions, The Comedy of Errors promises to be two evenings of great entertainment in a beautiful setting.'
The Lord Chamberlain's Men - which last year entertained the festival's audiences with the show Much Ado About Nothing and has previously performed Twelfth Night and Romeo and Juliet - is known for presenting Shakespeare's plays just as they would have been done in the great wordsmith's day, complete with Elizabethan costumes, music and dance.
The company's latest production is a story of mistaken identity.
You may also want to watch:
The Comedy of Errors tells the tale of two pairs of identical twins, Antipholus of Syracuse and Antipholus of Ephesus, and their servants, both named Dromio. When they were babies, the twins and their parents were separated in a shipwreck. Now, years later, they unwittingly find themselves in the same city on the same day.
Following on from the Shakespeare Festival, the cathedral plans to keep the outdoor sound and seating infrastructure in place to host some other performances and events in the following week. These will be announced shortly.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 8 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 9 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 10 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
The Comedy of Errors will be performed at Norwich Cathedral at 7pm on Friday, July 14 and Saturday, July 15. Tickets £20 (£18 for concessions).
For more information and to book tickets, visit www.cathedral.org.uk
For more about the Lord Chamberlain's Men, visit www.tlcm.co.uk