Norwich Aviva worker gears up for Starlight Walk in aid of Macmillan
A Norwich woman is putting herself through her paces as she prepares to walk under the stars in memory of her cousin.
Tina Carter's cousin, Beverly Mitchell, lost her two-year battle with breast cancer last month. The disease had kept coming back and eventually spread to her liver. The 51-year-old left a 14-year-old son and a 17-year-old daughter.
Now, in memory of her cousin, Miss Carter, from Spixworth, has signed up to take part in the Starlight Walk on Friday, June 22, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
In preparation for the event, Miss Carter has been taking part in a bootcamp to give her fitness a boost. The 40-year-old, who works for Aviva, said: 'When you've got someone who is really close to you who has died from cancer, it brings it home.
'I hadn't heard of the Starlight Walk before, but when my friend said she was doing it, it seemed like the perfect thing to do.'
Now in its seventh year, the 13-mile walk around Norwich's outer ring road, organised by the Sportspark and sponsored by Chapelfield shopping centre, starts and finishes at the Sportspark. Last year, just under 600 people took part in the Evening News-supported walk and raised more than �52,000. It is hoped 1,000 people will sign up this year. Registration costs �25, all of which goes to Macmillan Cancer Support in Norfolk.
To sponsor Miss Carter, go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TinaCarter.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 3 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 4 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 5 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 6 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 7 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 8 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 9 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 10 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
To register, go to www.starlightwalknorwich.co.uk.