Norwich actress cast in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Credit: PA
From the Maddermarket Theatre to the magical world of Harry Potter – Norfolk has conjured up a second cast member for the new play about the famous wizard soon to open in London's West End.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I and II is the eighth story about the world of wizards created by JK Rowling and is set 19 years after the Harry Potter books ended.
In the play Harry is now a married father of three and his wife, Ginny, is to be played by former Hewett School pupil and Maddermarket Theatre actress Poppy Miller.
She will be appearing in the show alongside fellow Norfolk actor Sam Clemmett who has been cast as Harry and Ginny's son, Albus Severus, and who is an alumnus of the Norwich Theatre Royal Arts Course.
Ms Miller went to the Hewett School in the 1980s and trod the boards at Norwich's Maddermarket Theatre in shows such as The Tempest, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Seagull and Mr Cinders in the same decade.
You may also want to watch:
Her A-level English teacher Jack Stanley described her as an 'intelligent, lively, humorous and very self-effacing' pupil and said he was delighted to see she was pursuing a 'first class' acting career.
About her latest stage role, he said: 'It's wonderful. I think she will be marvellous in the show.'
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 5 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 6 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 7 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 8 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 9 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
- 10 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
Before being cast in the Harry Potter play, Ms Miller has appeared in a vast array of stage productions.
On the small screen she has appeared in shows such as Line of Duty, Emma, New Tricks, Red Cap, Foyle's War and Kingdom, and her latest film role was in The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. She studied at New Hall College, Cambridge and trained at Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I and II – based on an original story by Harry Potter author J K Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany – will open at the Palace Theatre on July 30, with previews from June 7.
Do you have an arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com