North Walsham orders Diamond Jubilee bunting from town’s own East Coast Plastics business
Many a Diamond Jubilee tea towel or mug on display in the nation's shop windows this month is likely to have 'Made in China' printed in some discreet corner - but not so in North Walsham.
The town's patriotic bunting is very much home-grown; manufactured at one of the area's major employers, East Coast Plastics.
The business, on North Walsham's industrial estate, seemed the obvious choice when North Walsham Town Council started planning the finer details of its Jubilee celebrations, according to town clerk Margaret Foster.
East Coast has produced a long enough string to paint the whole town centre red - and white and blue - for Jubilee festivities which culminate with a Market Place street party on Monday June 4.
And organisers will not be rushing out with the ladders to take down the bunting the minute the Jubilee fun is over. It will bedeck the town until after the London 2012 Olympics, said Mrs Foster.
You may also want to watch:
And if the rain continues to fall through the spring and early summer, despite East Anglia's official 'drought' status, the flags will come to no harm as they are, of course, plastic and waterproof.
- 1 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 2 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 3 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 4 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 5 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 6 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 7 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 8 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature