North Walsham choral concert of light classics in memory of choirmaster
A concert in North Walsham Parish Church on Saturday will remember a much-loved choirmaster and celebrate his musical heritage.
Boys and men choristers trained by the late Roger Buck will raise the roof of medieval St Nicholas' Church with a tribute programme of light classics and other favourites.
The choir will be conducted by their new director, David Ballard, and accompanied by Matthew Bond, both of whom were among many trained by Mr Buck, who died suddenly in June, aged 64.
The programme will include Handel's Zadok the Priest, which was played at last year's royal wedding, and Howard Goodall's arrangement of The Lord is My Shepherd, used as the theme tune to TV hit series The Vicar of Dibley.
Proceeds will go towards replacing an area of concrete floor in the church with tiles - a project close to Mr Buck's heart - and buying a trophy which will be awarded annually to the most improved chorister.
You may also want to watch:
'Roger Buck's involvement in the church extended to almost every area of its life, but it is for his work with the choir he will be chiefly remembered,' said Mr Ballard.
'Whilst not always a fashionable viewpoint, Roger helped to develop and sustain the tradition of a mens' and boys' choir for over 40 years - a way of life which now exists in no other church in Norfolk other than Norwich Cathedral.'
- 1 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 2 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 3 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live
- 4 Woman on soft-food diet 'forever' after attack by kick-boxer partner
- 5 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 6 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 7 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 8 Pub hands out free ice creams during road collision traffic jam
- 9 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 10 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
He added: 'This concert wouldn't be possible without Roger who, besides supporting me in my musical development and initial steps in my musical career, was a good friend and source of guidance.'
? The concert, this Saturday September 29, begins at 7pm. Admission �4.