Norfolk-wide search for creative talent
Amateur writers, artists, photographers and poets across Norfolk are being given a chance to win prizes and showcase their work in a new competition.
The idea began as a potential money-spinner for Sheringham carnival but has been widened to give people an opportunity to air their creative talents - based on the sea theme running through the event this summer.
Judges will be picking winners from poems of no more than 40 lines, stories of up to 2,500 words, art work and photos up to A3 in size.
Carnival secretary Paula Popham said: 'It was just going to raise money for the carnival, but then we realised there are people out there who do not get the chance to show what they can do.'
It was geared to 'children, grannies, the cleaner', indeed any amateurs who would not other wise have the opportunity to enter competitions.
The sea theme was chosen to help focus the work, and make it easier for judges.
A team of judges included well-known professionals such as artists Colin Seal, Peter Kavanagh, and Martin Sexton, photographer Chris Taylor and crime writer Mark Pearson.
- 1 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 4 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 5 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 6 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 7 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 8 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 9 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 10 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
Prizes ranged from art supplies and books, to art and photography workshop sessions. Shortlisted finalists would have their works on display in the parish church during carnival week, and all young artists entering will also be invited to paint carnival boards in the town in mid July.
Entry to the art, literary and photography competition is open to amateurs - children and adults - and cost �1 per category, with a deadline of July 1.
Forms can be downloaded from the carnival website www.sheringhamcarnival.com, or call Mrs Popham on 01263 823546.