Norfolk WI thanksgiving celebration at Norwich Cathedral
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
More than 750 members of the Women's Institute (WI) celebrated the federation's 100 years at Norwich Cathedral.
The celebration on Friday, April 12, was led by the Dean, the Very Revd Jane Hedges, and was attended by federation chairman Margaret Collingwood and treasurer Vicki Reynolds as well as the Lord Mayor and Sheriff of Norwich.
WI members read an eclectic mix of pieces including I am Woman by Helen Reddy and an extract from Ulyssess by Alfred Lord Tennyson.
A special centenary choir performed at the celebration and its 78 members sang a variety of music, from You've got a Friend by Carole King, to the Abba favourite Thank you for the Music, and Paul Rutter's The Lord Bless You and Keep You.
Speaking ahead of the celebration, Ms Collingwood said: 'It will be a celebration of the Federation now and a thanksgiving for all the enterprising members who went before us. We have aimed to make the celebration reflective and joyful.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 4 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 8 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 9 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 10 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden