Norfolk’s Olympians will be part of the first social media Olympics during London 2012
The countdown is well and truly on for Norfolk's Olympians ahead of London 2012's opening ceremony, for what is being dubbed the first social media Olympics.
During the 2008 Olympics Facebook had around 100m users but now has a huge 900m users and Twitter similarly has rocketed from six million users four years ago, to 600m in 2012.
The International Olympic Committee estimate there are 2,014 verified Olympians, both past and present, using social networks - and six of those are Norfolk's preparing Olympians.
It is offering an interesting insight into the world's of Norfolk's elite sport stars preparing for the Games.
Lowestoft boxer Anthony Ogogo is preparing to take part in the men's middleweight 75kg category. He tweeted: 'Today has been amazing. Something most athletes dream of. Something that I've dreamt of. The Olympic village is amazing. I'm so excited.'
Colin Oates, from North Lopham, will be competing in the men's under-66kg judo. He tweeted: 'Kitting out done and dusted travel into the village tomorrow! In truth for me keep the gear and just let me fight! #impatient #frustrated'
It is not clear how much athletes will tweet during the Games yet, with both Ogogo and fencer Anna Bentley, a former Norwich high School for Girls pupil, indicating they are likely to abstain from Twitter and concentrate on their preparation.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 5 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 6 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 7 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 8 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
Bentley tweeted: '@TeamGB camp at #Loughboroughuni - going to stop tweeting until after #London2012 -thanks for all the support. #jobtodo #TimeToFocus'
- Norfolk's Olympians on Twitter -
Anna Bentley - fencing - @AnnaBentleyGBR
Nick Dempsey - windsurfing - @nickdempsey1
James Dasaolu - 100m - @JamesDasaolu
Colin Oates - judo - @Kumo49
Barbara Parker - athletics - @BarbaraParker3
Anthony Ogogo - boxing - @AnthonyOgogo
(Cyclist Emma Pooley does not have a Twitter account at present)
- For full information about Norfolk's Olympians, see the links at the top-right of this page.