Norfolk pub named second best ‘Country Pub of the Year’ 2017 in Countryfile contest
- Credit: David Bale
A popular Norfolk pub, described as an 'idyllic foodie heaven' has been named the second best country pub of the year by BBC Countryfile Magazine.
The Earle Arms in Heydon, near Aylsham, came in joint second place with The Stein Inn on the Isle of Skye, and the winner was Crosskeys Inn, County Antrim in Northern Island.
The village pub, was described as an ''idyllic foodie heaven, and a fiercely guarded secret among its loyal patrons.'
Landlord Andrew Harrison-Taylor, aged 50, said: 'A lot of pubs have taken the soul out over the year by changing things too much, we haven't made any drastic changes and have kept it a traditional pub with candlelight and a fire.
'We also use lots of local ingredients from Norfolk farms and butchers in our restaurants.
You may also want to watch:
'It was marvellous to be nominated, and we are very proud - I'm sure we will have a beer to celebrate.'
MORE: Ten things that make the Earle Arms in Heydon, near Aylsham, one of the best pubs in BritainThis isn't the first time Heydon has been in the spotlight, as the church and village green were used for the 1970s Monty Python TV Sketch 'The Village Idiot'.
The late Heath Ledger and Coldplay frontman Chris Martin have also visited the pub.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
A total of 56,000 votes were cast in the Countryfile Magazine Awards for more than 12 categories.